Czech engineer Bretislav Novotny began producing cars shortly after the First World War. The first-born was a double-disc with a single-cylinder two-stroke engine and friction transmission.
A couple of years followed by another Enka car with a 10-hp engine with a displacement of 499 cm3. Since 1929 she went into mass production under the brand name AERO, as it was produced at the Prague Aviation Plant. It was the smallest passenger car in the Czech Republic. Its equipment has been kept to a minimum. In the standard version, a crank knob, located next to the driver and connected by a cable with a pulley on the engine crankshaft, served as a trigger. Rear drive axle with light metal housing - no differential. Suspension brackets were halves of conventional springs, and the front wheels did not have brakes. However, the car turned out quite durable and, most importantly, cheap. Before the opening of the Prague Motor Show, Bogumil Turek performed a run on the Prague-Brest-Prague-Hamburg-Prague route at AERO. He traveled the entire route in 184 hours and 35 minutes at an average speed of 26.6 km / h.
The following AERO model was supplied with a two-cylinder engine of 660 cm3 and turned out to be very popular. It was followed by a powerful model with a 998 cm3 2-cylinder engine, which already had front-wheel drive and 4 seats. The front-wheel-drive “AERO-50” with a 4-cylinder two-stroke engine in 1997 cm3 became the latest pre-war model.
All the first AERO cars had a very simple appearance, open bodies, Spartan equipment and trim. Later models received aerodynamic closed bodies.
AERO was able to survive the difficult war years and revive again, creating a compact two-door Minor sedan with a two-cylinder two-stroke engine of 615 cm3. It was produced a few post-war years and was replaced by more advanced cars.