First introduced to the public in 1919 and produced from 1921 to 1929, the “Bentley 3 L" was made in an amount of 1,630 copies. Four cylinders of its engine were cast in a single block. The valves were controlled by an overhead camshaft. The source of electric current was two magneto, although one was enough to start in. In 1924, the car received brakes on all wheels, but until 1926 it was equipped with narrow pneumatic tires, completely unsuitable for high-speed races.
At the beginning of his career, Walter Owen Bentley decided to participate in automobile competitions in order to test them and ensure high quality. But over time, motor racing began to play a large role in his life. As a result, the “3 L” model appeared first on the highways and only after extensive testing began to offer it for sale. The first sports baptism of the “Bentley 3 L” was the 500-mile race in Indianapolis in 1922, in which the Hawks racer finished in fifteenth place. In the following years, the “3 L” model constantly participated in competitions, proving the reliability of the brand and attracting buyers to its standard designs. Among the highest achievements - the second place in the competition "Tourist Trophy" in 1922, the victory in Le Mans in 1924 and 1927. Next round of races in the class "D", installed at the French circuit in Monthlery.